Thursday, April 5, 2012

Color Theory Butterflies

Materials:
- Construction Paper
- Butterfly Tracers
- Pencils
- Scissors
- Glue/ Glue sticks
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Color Wheel handout (optional)
- Colored Pencils / Markers (optional)

1. To review and reintroduce some color theory terms, my students filled this sheet out as a class. 
Color Theory for Butterfly


I did steal that color wheel from another hand out I found on Pinterest found here.

2. Choosing a color scheme, each child gets one sheet of construction paper per color in their scheme.

3. Fold each paper in half and trace the butterfly tracer, making sure that the straight line lines up with the edge of the fold. Keep folded when cut and you should have one full butterfly. (You can always have your students make up their own wing shapes!)



4. Using scrap pieces and symmetry, make a design only on the smallest butterfly.


5. Assemble the butterflies so that the largest is on the bottom and smallest is on top. I used a hot glue gun just along the fold of the butterfly because I planned on having these "flutter." If you just wanted to make these flat, you can skip steps 5 & 6.


6. Right near the fold, I also hot glued a toothpick in between the wings to give them more "pop."



7. Add a body.


 

 

 

 

They look great flying on display!

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! So much dimension to these. I love the layers and the toothpick idea is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful! I have already seen about 5 different craftivities I want to do!

    I am so happy to be your newest follower! I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Heather! Love your blog, too! I'll definitely share it with my co workers : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, you can't immagine how helpfull it is for me.
    You are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the butterfly project in my read aloud post for the book "The Flower Man." (I linked to your site.) http://shannonsbooknook.com/?p=6716

    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Υπέροχη ιδέα, θα την υλοποιήσω αύριο με τους μαθητές μου. Ευχαριστώ, φιλιά από Ελλάδα!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea..…definitly going to try this in school <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, I'm going to try this with my kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people.

    state employee cashless treatment scheme

    ReplyDelete