Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mondrian Collages


Materials:
- 12" x 18" White Drawing Paper
- Scissors
- Glue
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Magazines
- 1/4" Black Strips

A few art teachers in our department are making these large 3' x 6' painted panels that will be displayed in our hallways (images soon to come!). We decided to focus on Mondrian for one of the panels I'd be working on with my 5th graders. I wanted to incorporate a Mondrian project then, so it didn't seem like we were just painting this random mural along side another project. I had to think of a way to make this a tiny bit more challenging than the typical Mondrian projects I've seen done in elementary school, and also a project that would be long enough for my two classes of 5th graders to be split up into groups so that they could all get a chance to paint a bit of the 3' x 6' mural.

1. Discuss Mondrian and his work. I found this cute little youtube to incorporate after my SmartBoard presentation.



2. Create a 1" border around your paper.

3. Break space up into small rectangles and squares. Emphasize not to make every single line completely intersect one another (avoid a checkerboard).

4. Fill in spaces with collaged magazine pieces, using red, blue, yellow, black, and white.

5. When completely filled in, glue down black strips where original lines were that formed the rectangles and squares.










I really love how these turned out. Someone even mentioned that they remind them of stained glass... hmm.... now that has me thinking of a stained glass project...



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I did a lesson similar to this with my grade 2 class. They loved it. We used black electrical tape for the strips when they were finished with their color blocks. It worked really well!
    Megan Burns

    ReplyDelete